Program Requirements and Application
Colonial Williamsburg Teacher Institute participants are involved in an interdisciplinary approach to teaching social studies with early American history as the focus. They meet with historians and character interpreters, take part in re-enactments of 18th-century events, and learn new teaching techniques from mentor teachers as well as from each other. Together with Colonial Williamsburg staff, they prepare new instructional materials for use in their own classrooms.
Teachers are asked to share materials, skills and experiences with fellow teachers through two workshops or in-service programs upon their return from the Institute. Participating teachers become members of the Oklahoma Colonial Williamsburg Alumni network.
Note: This participatory, interactive, interdisciplinary Institute requires the mental and physical endurance for 13 - 14 hour days in a hot, humid climate.
Participants are expected to:
- Attend the entire six-day institute and work together as a team, participating fully in all activities, including an end-of-session lesson plan.
- Present two workshops or in-service programs for fellow teachers in the school year following attendance at the Teacher Institute.
- Provide Colonial Williamsburg with one lesson plan using content and techniques learned at Williamsburg.
- Pay a $35 fee to Colonial Williamsburg at the time of program registration.
The Oklahoma Foundation for Excellence administraters the application process on behalf of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. Institute fellowships cover:
- All program activities.
- Round-trip airfare and room and board (teachers are responsible for three meals).
- $300 stipend for purchasing materials.
- Teacher resources provided in the Colonial Williamsburg Education Resource Library.
The following criteria will be considered by the Selection Committee:
- Demonstrated proficiency in classroom teaching.
- Evidence that the Institute will relate to the teaching needs and skills of the applicant.
- Evidence that the applicant can work well as part of a team.
- Evidence of the ability and willingness to plan, organize and participate in teacher in-service programs to share materials and techniques with others in and out of the applicant's district.
- Geographic diversity.
- Past recipients of Colonial Williamsburg Teacher Institute fellowships are ineligible to re-apply.
Applications must be submitted by midnight Saturday, February 1, 2020