Oklahoma School Foundations Network Services and Resources
Through its free outreach services to school foundations, the Oklahoma Foundation for Excellence has helped build one of the nation’s largest and most effective networks of public school foundations, now numbering more than 200.
These citizen-led, nonprofit organizations serve as a bridge between the community and the school district, raising private dollars to complement existing school budgets and encouraging community involvement in the betterment of local schools.
Whether your school district needs guidance in launching a new foundation or your long-established foundation needs to re-examine your mission and goals, the Oklahoma Foundation for Excellence is here to help.
The Oklahoma School Foundations Network is here to provide support to all Oklahoma school foundations free of charge.
SERVICES WE PROVIDE INCLUDE:
- Free consultation services and board retreats provided by the director of Oklahoma School Foundations Network.
- The bi-annual Fall Forum and Regional Meetings provide networking and training opportunities for school foundation volunteers, school administrators and educators.
- Quarterly meetings for Oklahoma Foundation Executive Directors.
- The OK School Foundation Outstanding Program Awards, recognizing successful programs sponsored or administered by Oklahoma public school foundations.
- Helpful news and information through monthly Network Newsletters.
- A Facebook page with links to helpful articles, news about Oklahoma School Foundations, and news about upcoming Oklahoma School Foundation Network events.
RESOURCES FOR STARTING A FOUNDATION:
Are you interested in starting a school foundation in your community? Please contact Katy Leffel for support and access to resources to help guide you. Here are two important things to consider as you work to start a foundation:
Purpose: Deciding on the purpose of your school foundation is an essential first step. Click here for an article with good thoughts on the many possible purposes for school foundations.
Procedures: Starting a school foundation is a major undertaking, with important legal and accounting steps. The Oklahoma Center for Nonprofits has published a comprehensive guide to starting a 501 c 3 that includes helpful background information and links to forms and government websites you will need in the process. We recommend taking the time to read this guide carefully.
EXISTING FOUNDATION SUPPORT:
Do you need sample documents like bylaws or examples of policies to use as you update your foundation’s board documents? Are you looking for guidance in developing a strategic plan? Would you like help planning and hosting a board training or retreat? Contact Katy Leffel for access to a wide variety of sample documents and resources available free of charge.